Sunday, January 24, 2010

Land of the Lost

I am not going to waste much energy on this film. As many of you know, "Land of the Lost" was a beloved (if corny) Sid & Marty Krofft TV show in the 1970s. I watched it religiously. So when I heard that they were making a film version of it, I was skeptical. But then I heard that the Kroffts were returning to produce it. So I got excited. But then I heard that it would star Will Ferrell and I got skeptical again. All that said, nothing could have prepared me for this film.

Knowing that it was a Will Ferrell vehicle, I expected a disgusting site gag (there is), crude jokes (there are), and a few inappropriate gestures (Boy! are there). But there is far more than I expected. The language is atrocious! And unnecessarily so. It's almost as if they saw the PG-13 marker as a challenge. And don't even get me started on the boob cup. Yes. You read that right. Boob cup.

Now I have nothing against Will Ferrell. I enjoy his raunchy humor in films like "Anchorman" and "Old School" and he was delightful in the family friendly "Elf". But why he felt compelled to take a classic show for children, which he professed to love, and make it something inappropriate for the very age-group that is was originally created for, I do not know. I wanted this to be something that I could share with my kids, instead it is something that wasted two hours of my time and has to be hidden from the kids.

Other than the boob cup, there is no nudity so this may be appropriate for older children. Just know that the profanity is varied and constant. They may very well enjoy it. But for my taste, I found it a lame attempt to piggy-back on a former success without putting any real heart into the new story. I would be lying if I said I never laughed but they were few and VERY far between.

So I give this DVD a "Skip It".

Overall: rope

Age Appropriateness:Photobucket

Adult Enjoyment: rope

4 comments:

  1. I hate when they remake movies and make them so that kids can not see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the TV show.

    Mama, can you get rid of word verification? Please, pretty please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I know the tv series and I haven't heard of the film but, from what you say, I think I'll give it a miss - it sounds like it has all the things I hate to see/hear. Will Ferrell is one of those 'strange' actors in that his acting seems to be either fantasic (Elf) or really dire, there just doesn't seem to be any middle ground if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids never missed the ordinal Land of the Lost but I would never take my Grandkiddos to this movie. Yep, this Ozarks farm chick is old and a prude! Heeheehe!

    Ya'll have a fantastically blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete